NOTE: DUE TO THE CURRENT CRISIS WITH COVID-19 SAFE HAVEN COULD BE DIRECTED TO RESTRICT HOW MANY CHILDREN WE ARE ABLE TO TAKE. IN THAT CASE, CHILDREN WILL BE ADMITTED INTO THE PROGRAM ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS. WE HAVE ADJUSTED THE FEES TO ZERO FOR NOW SO THAT YOU CAN PRE-ENROLL YOUR CHILD AND NOT WORRY ABOUT PAYING FOR A WEEK THEY MAY NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND.
Safe Haven is a recreation program for children ages 4-12. Fun activities will be planned each week to provide children with opportunities to learn and enjoy themselves. We will be scheduling weekly visits to the library in addition to a variety of other local trips. Each week our crafts and activities will be geared toward the weekly theme. Make this summer a memorable one by joining us!!
We’d like to invite you to enroll your child in the Summer Safe Haven Program at Colonel Town for children ages 4-12. We'll continue to create a camp-like atmosphere for the children as we want campers to look forward to coming to Safe Haven every day.
In trying to create a fun day camp for children, our program has weekly themes. The daily games, crafts, and various activities usually center on those themes. Campers will be divided into three age groups: blue group (ages 4-5), yellow group (ages 6-8), and the red group (ages 9-12). Children go to the pool each afternoon, weather permitting. We have Safe Haven staff members who remain at the pool with them to ensure each child’s safety. The days end with “Camper of the Day” awards for each group.There are many local field trips that we take in the summer. For example, we go to the library each week, attend the free family movies at the Rialto Theatre, enjoy Impact’s live performances at the Rialto Theatre, take walking trips, etc.
We’re also very fortunate to be able to offer free lunches to our campers again this summer. The NH Department of Education partners with the NH Food Bank the White Mountains Regional High School to prepare well-balanced, nutritious cold lunches each day. They create two-week menus so that parents have advanced notice of what the meals will be, just in case a child may not like what’s going to be prepared. Parents do not have to fill out any paperwork for this service.
Our staff is currently working hard to finish scheduling all the summer field trips, activities, games, crafts, etc. The following is a breakdown of the weekly schedule so far and is subject to change:
- Week 1 (6/8- 6/12) – “Camping Trip"- This week the children will be finding new friends while also enjoying crafts and activities as if they were on a camping trip. We will also be taking a trip to the Colonel Town community Camp where the children will enjoy a cookout and have many games and activities planned.
- Week 2 (6/15-6/19) – “Harry Potter”- Get your wands and robes on and your brooms fired up as we are taking a trip to Hogwarts Castle. We will enjoy many Harry Potter themed games and cast a couple spells this week.
- Week 3 (6/22-6/26) – “Holiday Mash” - Campers will enjoy a mashup of holidays this week including Halloween, Easter, Christmas, and New Years. There are a lot of activities planned throughout the week including trick or treating around town. We will also be taking a trip to Santa’s Village one day.
- Week 4 (6/29-7/2 No Safe Haven on 7/3) – “Party in the USA"- Take a trip throughout America with us while we celebrate American Independence. This week campers will enjoy partying in NYC, Hawaii, Texas, and Hollywood. Yellow and red group will take a trip to Whales Tale and the blue group will have a separate fun event at Colonel Town.
- Week 5 (7/6-7/10) – “Travel through Time”- Campers will experience life in many decades this week. On Monday we will be traveling back to Medieval Times, on Tuesday we will take it back to the 50’s, Wednesday we will throw it back to the 60’s and tie dye shirts, Thursday we will be rockin’ the 80’s and enjoy and 80’s dance, and on Friday we are going to take a blast to the future and check it out!
- Week 6 (7/13-7/17) – “Game Show”- This week children will participate in many tv game shows like Minute to Win it, Jeopardy, American Ninja Warrior, Fear Factor, and Double Dare. We are also going to enjoy a trip to Clark's Trading Post.
- Week 7 (7/20-7/24) – “Amazing Race”- Get your running shoes on and your brains thinking because this week children will work as a team and compete to beat their opponents to the end. The teams will have to solve challenges and clues in order to win the race.
- Week 8 (7/27-7/31) – “Mad Science” - Get your goggles and lab coat ready because we are exploring the science world this week. We will be exploring outer space, and also doing a lot of experimenting in the lab.
- Week 9 (8/3-8/7) – “Mission Impossible”- Get ready to go undercover and become a certified spy. A trip to Evergreen Gymnastics and White Mountain Climbing Center is planned.
- Week 10 (8/10-8/14) – “Splish Splash”- Gear up and get ready for a week full of water and pool fun. Campers will enjoy many outside water activities and spend extra time in the pool this week.
- Week 11 (8/17-8/21) – “Clue”- Get your magnifying glasses and detective thinking caps on because we have a mystery to solve this week... Someone stole Eli’s basketballs from the gym and we need your help to find them.
- Week 12 (8/24-8/28) – “Best of the Best”- Campers will get to relive their favorite games and activities this week while making it the best- last week at camp. There will be an end of summer celebration on Friday.
The following is a list of items that should be packed in your child’s backpack each day:
- Two snacks
- Cold lunch (if you don’t want your child to have the free cold lunch provided at Safe Haven)
- Water bottle
- Flip flops or sandals
- Bathing suit
- One Safe Haven shirt (which is worn whenever your child leaves Colonel Town property or when there are a lot of children on Colonel Town property – as a safety precaution)
- Bottle of sunscreen labeled with your child’s name (this is only brought on the first day and is left at Safe Haven – our staff is very good at ensuring each child wears sunscreen throughout the day)
Many of our campers are enrolled in other Colonel Town programs, such as swim lessons, gymnastics camp, tennis, etc. If your child is enrolled in any of the summer Colonel Town programs, our staff will walk your child to and from those programs.